Monday, August 10, 2009

Legacies

On Saturday, Lara and I went to see “Rent”. It was an animated performance punctuated by moments of passion and pathos. The play celebrated a group of impoverished young artists whose views on life and society welded them together in friendship as they suffered for their art. Despite their poverty, the warmth of their relationship resonated in my spirit and I was deeply moved when Roger, one of the main characters, became frustrated as he desperately searched for the one hit song. The desire to leave a legacy seems to be part of the human DNA.

Although, I’m no longer engulfed by the desire to have children, Roger’s refrain echoed in my heart. Biological legacies are the most natural and gratifying. Those unable to achieve them have the challenge of finding other ways.

It is tempting to think of grand projects and ignore the casual opportunities life offers to make a difference. A well-chosen word, a well-timed hug, all enrich our lives far beyond what the giver could ever have anticipated. Since moving to WV, the legacy of friendship has blessed my life. As for my legacy, I greet each day as an opportunity and try to love somebody. Hopefully, their load becomes a bit lighter and they feel cared by God.

No comments:

Post a Comment