Saturday, October 23, 2010

Today our women's group made a craft for christmas. Each of us took a string of lights and gently pushed each one into the hole of a glass box. Then we glued flowers and bells amidst the ribbons and bows. Some used bits of green or feathers, others white doves.
I tend to be" a less is more" kind of person especially when working at a craft as usually I can't wait to finish. Before completion, I would have made a thousand mistakes, pricked my finger, glued everywhere and then looked in awe at my friends with their perfect models .
Good work deserves praise and despite my inadequate attempt at the design.I do really express my admiration for their efforts . However, their self appreciative smiles would re-inforce my sense of failure. I can fill a library with books of crafts attended and failed. My house is a silent witness to my efforts as yarn and looms of every description jostled for space with fabric and machines.The neglected appliances designed to get a special seam or stitch lie idle taking up room. My low craft IQ is a definite handicap when you are in the company of these ladies who seem to be able to give lessons to Martha Stewart.

Today was different. My flowers were a bit lopsided between the bows but that was soon remedied and I had the confidence to make another box for my friend. There is no bigger thrill for me than to give a friend something of beauty made by my hands. I floated on air. I did not need to look at others. I was happy with mine. In my euphoria I went on a three mile hike to the nearest fabric shop.
As I walked, I reflected on how easy this craft was and imagined a book of easy crafts like it called "Easy crafts for ten thumbed
people".

Time flew as I day- dreamed and all too soon I reached the shop.
There I bought some leaves to make an autumnal tree, four pieces of fabric from the remnant section and some number 90 needles to sew the burgundy vinyl I bought to match floral brown with deep splashes of burgundy. I hope to make two purses sometime but if I never get to it, today, at least I'm happy.


1 comment:

  1. I could just hear your beautiful voice telling this story!

    I'm not much for crafts, myself. I could definitely benefit from that book for ten-thumbed crafters!

    ReplyDelete