Monday, March 21, 2011

The Eighth Day

Tonight, two friends and I were discussing the different and personal ways we hear from God. Laura, a gifted wrier is using the concept of weekly playdates with God to develop her relationship with HIm. I ascribe to God human characteristics as part of my device to know hIm as a friend and lover.
This is not meant to subtract from God's omnipotence, holiness or majesty. I experience God's mercy and grace. I am often overwhelmed by His faithfulness and I am certain of HIs love. Yet, i long to know Him as Abraham and Moses did. The Church is the Bride of Christ and the Church consists of all God's people. Therefore, I feel as an individual, that I should be able to have a similar relationship.

Hesitantly, I have asked God to show me how to be His lover. While waiting for the answer, I am enjoying acting on the presumption that God is jealous. I recall the dynamics of earlier relationships when I sacrificed time and expended effort just to be with my lover. Words were often superfluous and I did not ask for benefits for my friends , my family or even myself. Being with him was what really mattered. I remember once being so happy that I thought, even if it were possible, I won't exchange my friend for Prince Charles with all his wealth and status. So the bride is content with her bridegroom as he is.
Now, based on those experiences, I float off to sleep thinking about Him. I did worry about bed=time rituals. I couldn't lie in bed cradling the phone in my ear and talking for hours but to my relief, God directed me to some love letters in Isaiah.

Probably, I'm being zany, but I'm longing for the time when I'll feel held by God as lovers are. Who knows whether that would occur during this Lenten journey but I do know that God has been gracious in joining me on this unique search and letting me know Him in a more intimate way.

No comments:

Post a Comment