Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Conditional Love?

February 22nd is Ash Wednesday, 2012, the start of Lent which would culminate in the beautiful ritual of Easter amidst the fragrant lilies and vibrant spring flowers competing for attention as winter slowly retreats. I’ve enjoyed this winter. It has been thoughtful never snowing me in. My car has always started and my plans have not been frustrated by icy conditions or poor visibility. Today, I’m not wearied by the season, however long it lasts, longer, brighter days beckon.

I feel that this unusually mild winter is God’s gift to me this year.
Valentine ‘s Day celebrations still reverberate. We think of love, past and present. Whatever our status, we hope to be loved in the future for to be loved by parent, sibling, friend or lover is to have a life immeasurably rich.

I couldn’t help but remember the Bodyguard, and the poignancy of the promise as Whitney vowed “Ill always love you” That refrain is echoed in many hearts as distance and circumstances dictate that mere loving is not enough. The heart loves, the mind rules. Yes loving is a great start but we need so much more like common values, shared beliefs or equal commitment.

In the wake of Whitney’s death, this song is a constant refrain in my mind. The beautiful lyrics haunt. I loved Whitney. I’ll always love her voice but one day I may forget. Yet, I know that even if I do, the Christ who died because He loved me will continue to do so, no matter what.. From His resurrection on that spring morning He has controlled time. He has promised to be with me always, to life’s very end.
Now that is a promise, a divine contract and I know whatever the circumstance “He will always love me.’

No comments:

Post a Comment