Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Sunset and evening star
And one clear call for me!
And may there be no moaning of the bar
When I put out to sea.

My Dad has heard the one clear call.
Tennyson hoped that there be no sadness of farewell when he embarked.

I guess my dad wished that too-in vain because tonight I am indescribably sad
I have so many excuses for feeling like this. I grieve for my siblings who didn't have him as long. I grieve for my mom who has to adjust to widowhood without the comfort and support of her most trusted companion. I grieve for my nephews for whom he was a loved father figure. I grieve for my cousins who have lost their last uncle. But grief is so selfish. . I weep because tomorrow , I begin my fatherless journey and he won't be there to share the traveling tales or help with the repairs of the road. This is a journey, we must take however delayed, part of our developmental cycle. Interestingly, it does not appear to be a significant part of any theory of aging
KNowinfg my dad loved me and lived a long life does not make me less abandoned. Babies and I have something in common.

No comments:

Post a Comment