Friday, March 18, 2011

The Fifth Day

It's Friday and I'm glad. Although I enjoy my work, this week I am really looking forward to the week-end. My closet needs organizing again. It only takes one indecisive morning to litter the floor with clothes, to crunch hangers underfoot and get my carefully arranged color code in disarray. I'm always starting over. The neatness and order delight my heart for a week before I hang one color out of sequence and slowly blues are mixed with red, yellow with black and the room succumbs to disorder.

It's not just the wardrobe. The garden is clamoring for attention. Rose bushes have not been pruned nor the bushes trimmed. Indeed the tomato hoops of summer are still in place. The flower pots have dry stems and strong healthy weeds.

My craft basket has an unfinished crocheted shawl, quarter of a knitted scarf and quilting pieces. My kitchen sockets and lights have stopped working although I've tried fiddling in the fuse box.

So my week-end should be spent bringing order outside and out. Sometimes, like most older women who are still at work, I don't feel up to it. I'd rather stay in bed and read. Yet, I am more emotionally secure when there is order around me. l feel closer to God when I'm in a tidy space. Therefore to increase our intimacy, no matter the distraction, I will work hard at order. The sense of accomplishment at seeing rows of clothes hanging in colorful order should last all of next week or until the time when I don't know what to wear.

A sense of accomplishment from a good week-end makes me tackle Monday morning with optimism. The distinction between my work and private life is only around the tasks as the value and meaning of all activities remain the same-serving God among the flower beds or desk tops.

No comments:

Post a Comment