Thursday, March 17, 2011

Fourth Day

I went to a meeting today with my colleagues from across the county. It was very challenging to hear the different views about the separation of Church and State. Having worked for a State most of my life, I cannot recall feeling that my job compromised my religious beliefs. I was taught that sick people are vulnerable and it is unethical to discuss religion when they are helpless. However, addressing a patient’s spirituality is important to his or her holistic care. So I have read the Bible , prayed or contacted religious advisors but I have not invited patients to my church . Once, I had a patient who was in a spiritual and emotional crisis. I returned to my car for my Bible, read what I thought was appropriate, tended to her physical needs and referred her to a Christian lady by leaving her telephone number.

Six months later, I was invited to her baptism and two years later, I became a member of her church. She became my best friend. This story is a happy one but even if my intervention had ended with the telephone, my actions would have been viewed as appropriate because I responded to her need without violating her privacy or vulnerability. I recorded my action in her notes

Years later at a conference held at my church, I met several former patients who said that they always wondered which church I attended because they knew that I was a Christian. Although they were unchurched, they recognized a difference in the ordinary things.

I have truly learnt that it is our intention that sanctifies the activity. When I am asked through the apostle Paul to present my body as a living sacrifice, I have to make a choice each day. Some days the choice is made with me still burning from yesterday’s heat and my heart is heavy as I anticipate additional pain. At those times, it is much easier to be a dead sacrifice…one big decision, one final offering. No possibility for second guessing. One massive martyrdom and you’re done.

Nevertheless, sacrifice should infiltrate activities of daily living. It should underpin my relationships as I esteem others better than myself. It might be a sacrifice of praise or the sacrifice of encouragement when I am so in need of comfort myself. It might be the sacrifice of attentiveness as you privilege the story of a rambler, knowing that this time my story will remain untold.

I may not understand the total separation of church and state .but I do not believe that all Christian activities should be confined to Christian institutions. I believe that as I live in my imperfect life my version of Christ’s, people can find Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment