Saturday, April 30, 2011

Preparing for the Sabbath

Tomorrow is the Sabbath for me and for many Christians. For millions, it is today. For many hundreds of millions, it was on Friday. Even within Christendom, some theologians are not convinced that the first day of the week should be a day of rest. After all, even God rested from His labors. Why should we rest before ours?
As I am not a theologian, I celebrate the Lord’s Day on Sunday because of tradition. I feel that it is essential for human beings to have a day of rest, a day without commitments, a day where the only clock is the rhythm of our bodies as it tells us when to eat or sleep. A day should be dedicated to feeding the spirit that is often tired and bruised. Undoubtedly, praising God comforts the soul and uplifts the spirit. Yet, many times, I’ve been so weary that I long to be still as the eternal truths in the hymns caress my soul.
Unfortunately, many of our churches do not offer quiet moments of reflection or meditative songs during which we can catch my breath. Sometimes, the tempo is as frenetic as the routine of the week just past and adds to the sensory overload of our lives.

Lauren Winner in the Mudhouse Sabbath challenged the way I approached my Sabbath. Ever since, I have tried to use Saturday as a day of preparation for worship by structuring my Sabbath Eve so that Saturday evening comes with a sense of accomplishment. When I free myself from the busyness, I can approach church services with a rested spirit so I can give my energy to worship. Then it seems that I’m less mindful of the noise and more of my spiritual receptors are opened.

Today, I attended a Conference at the Huntington Civic Center but selected a class on folk dancing and another on Be choosy, keep moving for the afternoon period. The exercise from both classes elevated my mood. By 4p.m. I was home and the early trip this morning through the fog-laden streets of Huntington no longer mattered. Much more important, as it is an issue for thankfulness, is the fact that I stopped to ask for directions at the building just before the Civic Center and found easy parking. I was unable to use my GPS as I could not find the connector pin but I also found a new, better way to another destination.

On returning home, my brother and I searched the car to find the tiny pin. He found it and gave the car an overdue cleaning in the process. Good days are made up of small achievements. Sometimes, they are marked by helping hands. When a day is crammed with both, I am really blessed.

So I approach the Sabbath tomorrow with thankfulness, determined to bring my praise and thanksgiving to the Lord of the Sabbath.

1 comment:

  1. Mudhouse Sabbath also challenged me to rethink how I handled my Sabbath. I usually rest ... but really, today, was anything *but* a "rest" day. It looked like this:

    Get up. Put together worship music. Put lasagna in oven (for potluck later). Wake children. Feed them breakfast. Get ready. Worship (ahhhh....) Church meeting. Clean kitchen. Piano recital. Open house at the school. Make phone calls for VBS. Serve family palatable supper.

    ACK! Some kind of Sabbath, eh? Maybe I should have a Monday Sabbath this week?

    :)

    ReplyDelete