Sunday, April 24, 2011

Easter

The concerns of yesterday evaporated before midnight so Easter morn broke without added anxieties. Church was crowded but it was so good to see my mother in Church having made the long trip from St Louis. The combined choir sang beautifully, the little angels of praise singing the words with gusto and wonder. It is as if they truly realized the meaning of the words. As the melody from the harmonious voices hit the ceiling, I thought of the kettle boiled dry because I had forgotten to switch it off. The boiling kettle nagged me more insistently as the service went on. I stayed because I did not want to draw attention but I was thrilled that I did for my mother in her late eighties who suffers with Alzheimer’s spoke coherently and movingly for about two minutes testifying to the goodness of God. What a lady
After the service, someone wanted to take a photo of my mom, niece and sisters or so I thought. It turned out to be a family picture instead of women from four generations. I did not do a good job of hiding my impatience and disappointment.
Eventually I went home. I did not expect the kettle to b e off. Well better safe than sorry but I would save a thirty-mile journey. I would have been able to linger after the service.

Fortunately, arriving at my brother’s house made up for the wasted journey. All my family in West Virginia was their and my sister-in law catered for about thirty of us. Sitting on the dock of their riverside home with full stomachs a most agreeable way to spend a spring. We seized the moment to recharge our batteries and renew relationships.

Later back at my house, we had another opportunity to continue family bonding. It was amusing to watch my brother asleep lying on my mom bringing to mind pictures of our childhood. Parents so often underestimate their role yet manage to give children the security to last a life –time that however old they are, a mother's hug or bed provides comfort and security.

No comments:

Post a Comment