Monday, April 4, 2011

Storms and Smiles

The leaves were the only discernible objects among the debris that swirled everywhere. Everything that was not nailed down took flight. I longed to be home,
It was girls’ night tonight. Now, I am not a girl and my friends have husbands and children. They are not girls either but with their enthusiasm, creativity and boundless energy, the use of girls is not a misnomer. These friends are God’s gift to me but more about them at another time. It is enough to say that I wanted to meet with them tonight after a difficult day at work. Their listening hearts and caring hearts uplift and support me.

I reached my car through the dust as the first drops of rain smacked earth. Carefully reversing out of parking, I started for home. The afternoon lost its light as dark clouds held the rain. My headlights and windscreen wipers were ineffective against the sudden blackness thickened by the heavy rain. I drove one block and stopped by a mailbox. Ten minutes later, I tentatively started my journey home hoping that the storm had exhausted itself too much for a repeat performance. The weather improved the closer I got to home. If it were not for the soggy newspapers and limp, wet letters, I would have thought that Teays Valley had escaped the downpour.

My friends arrived and over tea, we reviewed the outline of a new book as we talked about our children and our work. We re-read some She speaks blogs and I particularly enjoyed one by Laura Bogess. Her pictures augmented her story so well that I, the camera phobic felt motivated to start clicking. This is one of the blessings of being with young people. They stretch your horizons. Indeed, you may even discover new countries so I learn from young friends who have such generosity of spirit. They patiently satisfy my endless curiosity, as I know so little.

Probably, my gift to them is the ability to take. In a world that is competitive, where individualism flourishes, to graciously accept what others give so generously is an act of communion. God, who through team work, undertook the creation is pleased as this too is in memory of Him.

1 comment: