Monday, April 18, 2011

Thirty Fourth Day; Walk of Honeysuckle and Daffodils

We stopped suddenly teased by the scent of honeysuckle. I inhaled deeply and an ordinary walk around the neighborhood was transformed. The heady scent reminded me of my own English garden so lovingly tended. After the evening watering, the floral scents blended in the air but the roses that gave scent to those who linger by their stems were also wrapped in honeysuckle aroma. I envied the birds settling down for the night in an apple tree with the air so heavy with perfume. My little garden had a touch of Eden, It’s tranquility made me reflective.

Perhaps, it was because we were passing through forests and woods but the same sweet air in Mandalay created a different mood as mile after mile of roadway was like an outdoor perfumery It might be fanciful to think that one of the little children in Heaven was playing with God’s perfume for this glorious scent was in the country side across paths almost deserted by people. I can recall the feelings of adventure and excitement as I drove by sniffing the air to fill my lungs again and again.

Honeysuckle and frangipani are still two of my favorite flowers because of the magic of that journey across the Middle Kingdom of Mandalay. But if I love them for their aroma, I crave daffodils for its color and timing as it signals the beginning of spring, which reminds me of the resurrection. My life, like each year, has opportunities to begin anew if I but seize them.

So an ordinary walk with friends became an unusual treat of companionship, color and fragrance. What a perfect ending to any day!

No comments:

Post a Comment