Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Thirty fifth Day; Wormlike and Worshipful

The weather man was right. It did rain this morning so plans to mow the grass were postponed again. However, later in the day, it became a good time for pulling weeds as the water soaked earth made it easier to get to the roots.

Hours slip away when my fingers work in the warm, moist earth as I smell dry leaves and bursting buds. Now and then fat luscious worms will pause long enough from aerating the soil to make me queasy by their shiny, sometimes luminous appearance. Unmindful of what humans think and do, they burrow relentlessly, not thanked by man for making his crops better.

I don’t know if worms miss the family and friends so thoughtlessly crushed by people when they dare to show themselves. Surely, I think that by now thy would learn to hide whenever the earth above them is disturbed but they seem unconcerned with the risk.

I wish I were as totally focused on what I was created to do as the worms are or even as organized as the bees. But I allow myself to be distracted or discouraged. I am mindful of the risks to trust and to love so I hesitate and fail to seize the moment. Worse still, unlike these creatures that can only be themselves, I’m often uncertain as to what I should be doing
Of course, I am allowed countless choices as well as made in the image of the Creator of multi-universes. Therefore, my mind is multi-dimensional. Yet, my purpose really is expressed in the injunction “to glorify God”. How I glorify Him has no script. Therein lies my dilemma because I could subvert my purpose by so many good things. Few people want to stand out in the Christian crowd for the very good reason that history is rich with people who were led astray by their own imagination. Nevertheless, despite this risk, I have to glorify God as only I can.

As the days of Lent are drawing to a close, I have a sense more than ever of that purpose.
I shall keep the worms in mind, not least because when I’m done with my body, it will be all theirs anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment