Friday, April 22, 2011

Thirty Seventh Day-Serving in Relating

Holy Thursday, night of the Last supper, although he knew that His hour was about to come and He wished that the cup could pass from Him, like a passionate teacher, Jesus took time to include another lesson. He wanted one more review before the finals. It is significant that He chose a lesson on humility and service. He, part of the Godhead used manly hands to wash and dry the dusty feet of his followers. When Peter objected, no doubt projecting on to Jesus his own sense of precedence, Jesus compassionately enabled him to submit by appealing to his self-interest. Peter wanted so much to be identified with Jesus that he was willing to have his whole body washed by Him Yet didn’t easily grasp the concept of servanthood.
Service is often mistaken for servility but Jesus by His action gave new meaning to the word. When I cheerfully use my initiative to meet the needs of others, I serve them no matter who or what they are. Therefore by demonstrating patience in a disruptive class or holding that class accountable for incomplete assignments is serving according to need.
So In the noise of chatter, people feel unheard. Many want to tell their stories. I find it extremely difficult to serve by listening and I find myself privileging some stories more than others. I try not to avoid blame shifting stories or recurring themes of victimization. My mind says: you made your own choices whilst my heart declares; you, but for God’s grace. So in servanthood, I pay attention to the story that frames the words. Whether they exaggerate, are dramatic o r are confrontational with their life-style, their story telling gives glimpses of the soul. Like Peter it is sometimes hard to wash “the feet” but learning from him, I know that a servant spirit expresses a loving heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment