Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Thirty Sixth Day-Working in Eden

Yesterday, I talked with someone who found a job. His delight in working reminded me that even in Eden, God gave Adam something to do. . He was put in the garden to work and take care of it. He did not have to pull weeds, as sin had not entered the world. Everything was perfect so what did he really do?
Well, I won’t ever know but what I do know is that God attaches meaning to work beyond its monetary value. Imagine having a divine commission to be a farmer r or a gardener. Both involve working with my hands. Was this God’s way of honoring labor?

There is a continuous contest between man and machines, between skilled labor and college graduates. Electricians and plumbers often earn more than some university professors. Yet society attaches different values to their job.


Work by its very nature is redeeming if approached from the divine perspective. It helps to structure our days and can increase our friendships. To find our niche at work adds immeasurably to our well-being. But it cannot be another god to be worshipped because it meets my self esteem needs and fills our days. Eventually, I will retire and if have not forged another identity, the transition will be traumatic.

In the meantime, as I eat and drink, I take Ecclesiastes to heart: There is nothing better for a man than to eat and drink and tell himself that his labor is good. Of course, as a woman, it is no less fulfilling.

No comments:

Post a Comment