Friday, April 8, 2011

Twenty FourthDay

My mother is humming to herself while two of my sisters watch and comment on a cooking show, My brother who had driven from West Virginia to Illinois in seven hours was on his laptop trying to complete a day’s work. I tried to find a three-point socket for mine, as my battery was dead. It was an ordinary scene but precious to us because we live so far apart.

Our journey to Illinois was uneventful but the unexpected tracts of purple covered fields made us gasp. My brother broke into song: God bless America and we continued to sing through mile after mile of prairie-land, my voice choking with emotion. Although, not an American, the breath-taking beauty of the landscape, fringed with pine and purple and the mounds of sun kissed hills stirred a love of country. We talked about the vastness and splendor of the land, making favorable comparisons to the cities and highways in Europe

When we arrived home, my youngest brother took us to a lake where we walked for an hour unwilling to end such a beautiful day. It was a brief respite from our concerns because the tranquil scenery soothed our spirits.

Family life is strewn with simple activities and difficult decisions. These are often the times of greatest nurturance as people show their love and care. When Jesus asked if folk were willing to leave their family to follow Him, he was asserting the importance of family life. We only sacrifice what is valuable.

My family has strong personalities, which make for interesting living. As a little girl I fantasized about belonging to a different family. Mystery books whose heroines were robbed of their birthright fed my princess fantasies. I outgrew daydreaming and am really comfortable with my Christian heritage. Nevertheless, sometimes, like tonight, I am in awe of my family who continues to teach me about unconditional love and faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment