Thursday, April 7, 2011

Twenty Third Day-Renaming Zebulun

This week has been temperamental so far: sunshine alternating with angry storms, and pouring rain. However, today it seems that spring has arrived with warmth and good cheer. It was a day when the spirit sings and difficult things feel less burdensome.

My mood was in tune with the day as I was uplifted this morning with a simple sentence. Although I have read the Bible so often, I am constantly surprised at how onion-like it is. There is always another and another layer of meaning. I was completely off guard this morning as I read Is 9: 1 Nevertheless, there will be no more gloom for those who were in distress. In the past he humbled the land of Zebulun and the land of Naphtali, but in the future will honor Galilee….”

Even when we make we make wrong choices and endure the consequences of those decisions; there is still hope. Zebulun and Naphtali were brutally crushed by Assyria but Jesus will be called the Man of Galilee, the new name for their old tribal lands.

One of the blessings of old age, is that there are recurring cycles in my life so whether I pay attention or not, I can’t help but notice a pattern eventually. Recalling times of desolation past is reassuring, as I know that as the cycle evolves, so time will change,
The loneliness I felt on my first day of nursing school with all my family a continent away helped me adjust to the loss of friends decades later, The anxiety of driving my first car helped me cope with the stress of driving on the right side of the road.
Stressors punctuate my life and I look for the pattern to emerge to form a richer experience. But even when life’s experiences still leave me ill prepared to cope, Jesus, the Galilean, walks through my devastated lands and transforms with His presence.

No comments:

Post a Comment