Saturday, September 26, 2009

The childhood Consequences.

The church I attend is having a fashion show for children under 12. While I enjoy watching glamourous women shay -shaying down the catwalk, I am saddened by young children over-dressed and over made up as it is hard to avoid going over the top. However, now I am a participant as my niece's grandfather has encouraged me to buy as well as sell some tickets. I might have still resisted as I have several charity events in need of money but for his explanation.
He is a pastor's son and he was not allowed to claim any prize he won at Church, His prize was promptly re-issued. Parents can sometimes try too hard to be fair or to avoid the appearance of favouritism..
My parents' behavior left no lasting impression on me but my brother is determined that his children would be rewarded just like everybody else. He wants his grand-daughter to win and if she has to sell the most tickets, he would help her achieve that. Obviously, it is too late for him but I wonder if her winning would put those childhood ghosts to rest.
It is difficult for parents to have the right balance in fostering self interests or altruism for each child. So they just have to hope that their children will respond to their values with compassion.

P.S The show was brilliantly choreographed and the children tastefully dressed. It was a friendly affair. My great niece won. I hope that it will be a cherished memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment