Saturday, January 29, 2011

God's Eyes

The eighty per cent rise in my air fare grounded me and forced non-attendance at my father's memorial. So free of appointments, I watched videos of news.

The ambulance stopped outside the Rehabilitation Center and quickly became surrounded with intense activity as the congresswoman was admitted. Despite her access to such good care, I think of her family and friends who are physically and/or emotionally her best care-givers, May they find strength as they comfort, cajole and encourage her. May they always be cushioned by hope and faith in the long hard days and longer nights ahead.
But there were other images flitting across my screen today. Egypt with names like Cario and Alexandria, part of the ancient world; yet still mysterious. Its pyramids are on my bucket list. The crowds in the streets reminded me of Tehran decades ago.


Two very different incidents but both examples of how quickly our world be it personal or national can change without our consent or input. What a difference a month can make!
Life seemed so whimsical as I observed people struggling with multiple tragedies. I've even sulked at God on their behalf or tried to become more devout so that he might spare me. I felt that God was just waiting for me to mess up enough and then He would throw the thunderbolts. Apollo and Zeus probably tainted my view of God because I really forgot that as far as the east is from the west, so is His ways from us! I often confused the swings and slings of life with divine intentions.

Now, I'm still affected by the pain and loss in the world but I try to use a sad or dreadful event as an opportunity to be grateful. When I hear of difficulties, know of someone my age or younger who is very ill or has died, I see God's grace to me. Each new day births its own praise because the God who eyes the sparrow also has His eye on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment