Wednesday, March 16, 2011

3rd day

Today, I didn’t wake up with a start. I kept hearing the alarm going on and on in my sleep. I kept dreaming of missing appointments because I’d overslept. Of course, I did oversleep and when I eventually awoke I had to choose between exercise and more of the Song of Solomon. I chose the Song because belatedly, I realize that it is about a relationship. I can learn something from Solomon and his Shulammite. They might have gazed in each others eyes but their elegant similes and metaphors demonstrated that they were never at a loss for words. This Shulammite lady might not have had time for spa treatments as she was busy tending her brothers’ vineyards. She was fully aware that she could not compete with the grooming of the elegant daughters of Jerusalem. Notwithstanding these adverse circumstances, she did not assume inferior status although she was being courted by the greatest king on earth. She conceded that Solomon was handsome, pleasant and rich but went on to declare that she was the rose of Sharon, the lily of the valley. Twenty first century women claim gender equality but few have the confidence to accept their body with its flaws and so confidently claim their strengths.

I may never have cheated nor sought to wrong folk. My friends describe me as wise and giving but can I use these qualities to define me during a courtship? On the contrary, like so many women I down play my strengths and hope that my helplessness will make the fellow feel more secure. Dishonesty with good intent underpins too many relationships.

I certainly learnt about partnering in relationships today from a lady , over 2000 years old, who lived in another place and culture. She humbles me by her knowledge of self and affirmation of her feelings. She knew that she was worthy to be loved and Solomon, a connoisseur of women was bewitched by her. He proved his wisdom in choosing her above the daughters of Jerusalem. Of course, Solomon was the wisest man ever but some men of these times still feel threatened if the women in their lives earn more, learn more or do more. The Shulammite would find many soul sisters today, but she might be hard pressed to find a Solomon.

No comments:

Post a Comment