Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Day 2

This journey through Lent is so different from other trips when I was pre-occupied religious readings and observances as well as well as what I was giving up. I attempt the Daniel fast but find that I eat more than before I changed my diet. There is a craving for food although my caloric and nutrient needs are being met. So I eat all the time. Strange fast but I refuse to allow my eating habits to pre-occupy my thoughts and make me too guilty to hear God’s voice. I realize that on some days I’ll relate better than others.

My mission is to serve God through the routine of every day life, reaching out to people where we meet. I had overslept this morning and had to forego my Bible reading and my exercise so my day did not have the best start. Disregarding my failures, God used an ordinary class to inspire someone to serve Him better. It was an awesome moment. I felt some empathy for the little boy who gave up his fish or the servants who had their water turned into wine. When Christ anoints our daily tasks and tools with His transformative power, His kingdom comes and we know His will is done.

Thirty minutes of awe and I was immersed again in the humdrum of administrative tasks. Mountain tops give us picturesque views but work calls to us from the valley floors.. Yet I know that this experience will encourage me through the frustrations and disappointments that are part of the working life. It is one of my Lenten gifts, which makes me feel special and loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment