Thursday, March 31, 2011

Seventeenth Day

My first computer was bought in 1986. It was an Amstrad and it worked with two discs. I booted it by inserting the operating system then inserted the logos software. I bought it in a hurry to complete a research project on homelessness. My other projects were done by typewriter which was painstakingly slow for me when I wanted to be accurate. Making a mistake in the last paragraph without a way of correcting it neatly spoiled many evenings as tried to retype the page only to make another error.
If missing deadlines on a typewriter was a minor tragedy, it was heavenly to work on a computer with the capacity to self correct, copy and paste. I adored my computer and the ability to print perfect copies until several years later when I had another research deadline. Thirty six hours before, I booted the computer after an early dinner and worked non-stop except for coffee breaks all through the night. Next day I skipped meals and with the end in sight proceeded to work through the second night to be certain of completion. My energy lasted but my computer did not. At 4.30am in the morning as I was sorting out the Appendices, there was the acrid smell of smoke and burning. My heart survived the shock of knowing that the last 36 hours of constructing tables with carefully thought out analyses were lost in smoke. My infatuation with the computer was over. A second experience convinced me of the need to complete important work with time enough to repeat the process if necessary.

Twenty five years later, technology has transformed home computing to the extent that it is almost unrecognizable from the primitive models of the early eighties. I do not have a flair for technical skills but I'm no technophobe. I attend classes whenever I have the opportunity. I've even learnt how to build a computer. I can't recall much but I'm no longer mystified. However, my software skills need updating too so I enrolled in a Mous class. I have attended other classes before. Few made a lasting impression but this class inspires me. I can work faster and better. A whole new world of mouse clicks awaits. I long to spend weeks just immersing myself in one heading after another.

Yet, this world was always there within reach. It is available on my computer. It is accessible because the computer is in my office. Yet all its time saving, document enhancing features went untouched. I feel that there are some similarities with studying the Bible. There is a ribbon with many headings which I see but never explore.

Home Button: Trust in the Lord with all thy Heart
The Empowerment heading: He giveth strength to the weak
The Insurance Heading: I go to prepare a place for you
The Prosperity heading: My God shall supply all your needs according to His riches glory
Layout Heading: IN all thy ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct thy path
There are so many headings I have never used and I've missed precious experiences on the journey because of unbelief and ignorance. Exciting times lie ahead as I explore the soft ware and Heavenly ware.

No comments:

Post a Comment