Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Twenty Ninth Day-Expect the Best

I received another tribute this morning. No, not a floral arrangement that startles us with its artistry while our minds work overtime to capture the picture. We know that it will fade.and droop so we take photos to retain the memory. Floral tributes are impressive but this was just “Thank you” and it was said with such gentle genuineness that my throat tightened with emotion. It was so unexpected. In fact I expected resistance and hard feelings. What I got was the most priceless, enduring gift of all: understanding and appreciation.

It is not often that folk thank you when you disagree with their views of themselves. Confrontation takes a toll on both parties and love sometimes is not enough to ease the hurt and sense of betrayal arising from truth telling. The threat of exposure of my real self spurs me to run for cover. Paradoxically, I try to live such an authentic life that a false self has no space but self-disclosure is so much more liberating than being exposed.

Despite this, someone was brave enough to rise above their pain and say” Thank you.” I was stunned. My reply: "You’re welcome” was not automatic as it took me awhile to regain my speech. My mind was much faster and I felt slightly ashamed at how often I resign myself to expecting a negative outcome. Human beings have a limitless capacity to surprise. They cannot be pigeonholed or put in a box. After all, they are made in God’s image and likeness.

Sure, expecting the worse ensures that I have a Plan B and in some instances when the safety of others are involved, it is prudent to plan for the most adverse event. However, most of the time, this behavior is an act of self-protection and is underlined by idolatry. Am I not saying that I can look after myself? Am I not implying that I need to protect myself from folks like me? Once again, Jesus’ tolerance of Judas although he knew that he would betray Him teaches me another way. Jesus was open with the mean-spirited Judas but even in his vulnerability, he entrusted His life’s work to a self-serving band of men. They did change, of course.
But in the meantime, the Prince of Heaven accepted their failures and envisioned their future. We can do no less. His grace is sufficient if we trust too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment