Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Twenty two Days

Leaving the slip road to join the I-64 was a perilous journey as I was almost blinded. Strangely, the sun looked like a giant egg yolk, edged with vivid crimson... a glowing, dazzling circle in an aerial sea of blue. It was 7.30PM and in the mountain landscape, the sun seemed low enough to be in touching distance.

During the twenty minutes of my journey, the sun splashed more and more red across her face but retained her blazing brilliance. Wearing sunshades, sinking in my seat, looking sideways were all-useless at avoiding the glare. Keeping myself safe on a fast road when I could not look ahead was of greater priority. The sun was setting but I couldn’t gaze in awe.
When young, I woke up before daybreak, walked a mile to the ocean to watch the sun rise. This afternoon I felt threatened, not uplifted by its splendor. But the magnificent sun must stay in its orbit; unlike people who have choices.

I thought of folks whose brilliance shine so brightly that people like me wilt in their glare. Yet there are others equally luminous, whose glow light the way for me to go further or be better. I am blessed to have known such people. They have made me mindful of my own relations and more determined to be a sun that lights.
Is 6:13 refers to a terebinth that is similar to the oak but when cut produces a fragrant smell. When I am cut by the painful issues of life or even when God himself needs to cut away my habits or attitudes, I hope I can ooze fragrance.

Another day enriched by two vivid images: The blinding sun and the fragrant Terebinth. Both teach me but the Terebinth provides a template for gracious living.

No comments:

Post a Comment